UCR Department of Theatre, Film, and Digital Production
OPEN TO ALL UCR STUDENTS, REGARDLESS OF MAJOR OR GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION
A brand-new work created by the students of UCR and Bella Merlin
Directed by Bella Merlin
20:20 Vision is an original verbatim piece written by UCR students, with five songs by Bella Merlin and orchestrations by David Roesner. The piece takes a look in the rearview mirror at the events of 2020 since the UCR campus closed in March 2020.
MARCH 12, 2021
ONLINE in Zoom
Callbacks: MARCH 13, Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm
Needed: Six singers with a particular skill at sustaining harmonies/countermelodies and a very characterful disposition. The five songs range in style from rock to doo-wop to folksy pop.
Singers should prepare:
• The first verse and chorus of the song 20:20 Vision (measures 1-36; backing track: 00.00-01.12).
• The first verse and chorus of Turning 21 (measures 1-29; backing track: 00.00-1.04)
Please perform each contrasting song in as inventive a manner as you wish, using your positioning within the Zoom frame as part of your performance (plus props, costumes, whatever takes your fancy).
Download lyrics, notations, and recordings of 20:20 Vision and Turning 21 here.
Callbacks on Saturday March 13 will entail singing a verse from Turning 21 other than the first verse. The narrative of Turning 21 comprises three different characters, Verse 1 being Character 1. Please pick either Character 2 or 3, according to your own personality, and be prepared to perform in a trio with others.
Tips for the audition:
• You will need to play the backing tracks from your computer. Please have them cued up before you audition, and practice ahead of time with a friend in Zoom to ensure that the volume is correct (e.g. check that the music is not louder than your vocals, etc.).
• Select an audition space with your back to a wall so that others will not pass behind you.
• Use good lighting, preferably in front of your face.
How to audition:
• You must sign-up in advance for a time slot here. You will receive the Zoom link to the audition room on the day of auditions.
• Download and fill out the PDF Audition Form here. Once this form has been completely filled out and you have signed up for a time slot, email your Audition Form and a headshot photo to Jordyn McEvoy, Stage Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• All rehearsals and class sessions will take place remotely in Zoom.
• Please review the production calendar here before signing up to audition. You must be available for all dates and times in purple, though you may not be called for each one.
• For the audition wear simple, businesslike clothing with hair back and away from the face.
• Cast members will be enrolled in four units of TFDP 170.
Friday, March 12 at 5:00pm to 9:00pmVirtual Event
You may login with your UCR NetID
In order to submit events, users must have a UCR email address (@ucr.edu). All events submitted by non-UCR users WILL be deleted.